Coxswain Grade 3
The Coxswain Grade 3 is a domestic qualification for operating in Australian waters, allowing you to operate a vessel less than 12 metres for specified purposes in specified waters.
- With and inboard and outboard engine up to 500 kilowatts when towing people and only in waters that are water-ski areas approved by a state or territory authority.
- Inland waters
- Any waters in a tender or auxillary that are within 1 nautical mile from a parent vessel provided that you are in sight and in communication with that parent vessel.
- Any waters within 1 nautical mile from each point of departure and within 1 nautical mile of the coast.
- Any waters of an aquaculture lease approved by a state or territory authority and any approved waters used for the daily transit to and from the aquaculture lease for operation under this exemption.
- Any waters within 250 metres of a structure fixed to the shore.
- Sheltered waters within 2 nautical miles from the coast.
• On board Paradigm Training Group vessels ranging from 5 to 18 Metres
• Reading learning materials
• Reviewing slideshows and videos
• Video, email, text and phone conversations with Trainers and Assessors
Prior to commencement of the face-to-face component of the course, online pre-learning and formative assessment activities must be completed. You will have online support from their trainer and assessor throughout the duration of the course.
You are welcome to attend more than one face-to-face workshop during the 12 month program if you would like extra learning or if the trainer and assessor has identified that you need extra time in order to gain competence. Extra workshops incur no further costs and are included in your original course fee/s.
03.1 Vessel Handling
If you are unable to demonstrate competence in any of your unit activities or during the two day face-to-face workshop, you will be invited to attend further workshops where you will be provided with support and further opportunities, for practice and to demonstrate the required competency/s.
• MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal)
• MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
To successfully gain your Coxswain Grade 3 you will also need to:
- 1. Be at least 16 years of age when the statement of attainment is obtained; and
- 2. Hold a statement of attainment for the units listed in Section 11, or for operations in a marina or mooring area hold a recreational boating licence and a Mariner Card issued by the Boating Industry Association Ltd (BIA)
- 3. Complete training and assessment in accordance with:
- AMSA 508 Training and Assessment Criteria (click for link), and
- AMSA 536 Final Practical Assessment Record (click for link)
- 4. Meet the medical and eyesight requirements for a Coxswain Grade 2 NC certificate of competency specified in Chapter 4 of NSCV Part D, other than the requirements in Division 4.4 of Part D
- Complete an eye sight test Certificate AMSA document 542 (Colour blindness) (Click for Link)
- Complete a Certificate of Medical Fitness for a Marine Qualification on AMSA document 559 where applicable (Click for Link)
- 5. If you are carrying passengers hold a first aid certificate of at least HLT Health Training Package unit of competency Provide first aid; and
- 6. If operational radio equipment is on board the vessel, hold at least a Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP) issued by the Australian Communications and Media Authority or an equivalent qualification approved by the National Regulator
07.1 Credit TransferIf you have completed any single or multiple units in this qualification and can provide evidence in the form of a certificate and transcript issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) or educational body, you may be eligible for credit transfer. You should consult with PTG for advice on this process.
07.2 Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)RPL recognises your existing experience gained through life or work for which you may not have obtained a formal qualification. If you are able to supply valid, sufficient, current and authentic evidence of having the skills and knowledge required for any or all of the required units for this qualification, you may be eligible for RPL and should consult with PTG for advice on this process.
On successful completion of the final assessment, you will be issued with a completed final assessment record 536 form which will allow you to begin operating under a Coxswain Grade 3 immediately.
For more information regarding the Final Assessment record 536 (Click for link).
You do not need to apply for this exemption. You will need to keep all the supporting documents onboard and ready to be presented to authorities if required. Please see Section 11 for supporting evidence requirements.
Paradigm Training Group is now conveniently positioned in two locations at Australia’s Greatest Boatyard, The Boat Works in Coomera, QLD.
Find the administration team, Business/ Leadership/ Work Health and Safety and First Aid trainers in our office and training rooms in Building J01A of the South Yard, a short walk from Espresso Twenty5 and Boatworks Car Museum.
Our maritime training rooms are also located in the South Yard, opposite The Boat Works administration office and slipway at A-05 on the waterside of Hanger H.