Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
The Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) reflects the role of individuals who command a marine vessel;
• That is carrying passengers inshore or as tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
This level of qualification is currently cited as meeting some of the requirements for certification as a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal as defined by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D.
- 1. Course Overview
- 2. Course Delivery
- 3. Course Resources
- 4. Qualification
- 5. Qualification Pathways
- 6. Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning
- 7. Units of Competency
- 8. Licensing Overview
- 9. AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA)
- 10. Low Complexity Interirm Certificate of Competency (ICoC)
- 11. Fees Overview
Coxswain Grade 1 qualification and license holders are qualified to command:
• Tourist boats
• Water taxis
• Work barges
• Jet boats
• Parasailing boats
• Other commercial vessels.
The Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) qualification is currently cited as meeting some of the requirements for certification as a ‘Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal’ as defined by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D.
The Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal certificate/license is issued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
The Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) reflects the role of individuals who command a marine vessel:
• With propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 500kw for an inboard engine
• That is carrying passengers inshore or as tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)
02.1 Face-to-FaceThe face-to-face component of this course is delivered over an eight day workshop. During the eight days you will complete training with formative and summative assessment activities in the following environments:
• On board Paradigm Training Group vessels ranging from 5 to 18 metres
• Fire fighting simulations
• Safety at sea drills in sheltered waters
Prior to commencement of the face-to-face component of the course, online pre-learning and formative assessment activities must be completed. You will have online support from trainers and assessors throughout the duration of the course.
Please note: if you are able to supply evidence of holding a current HLTAID003 Provide First Aid certificate you will only need to attend seven of the eight days.
02.2 OnlineOnline activities consist of:
• Reading learning materials
• Reviewing slideshows and videos
• Video, email, text and phone conversations with Trainers and Assessors
03.1 Fire Training
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided by PTG - Eye protection, gloves et cetera
03.2 Safety at Sea Training
• Sunscreen MUST be worn for “Safety at Sea” units.
03.3 Vessel Handling
If you are unable to demonstrate competency in any of your unit activities or during the eight day face-to-face workshop, you will be invited to attend further workshops where you will be provided with support and further opportunities for practice and to demonstrate the required competencies.
• MAR30918 - Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 Metres Near Coastal)
• MAR30818 - Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
06.1 Credit Transfer
06.2 Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
In addition to your successful completion of the MAR20318 - Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade I Near Coastal) with PTG, to successfully gain your Coxwain Grade 1 Licence you will also need to:
- 1. Obtain qualifying sea service
- 30 days at sea with a completed AMSA task book, - OR -
- 240 days at sea (can be accrued by recreational vessel hours)
- 2. Complete an AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA)
- 3. Complete an appropriate radio certificate of proficiency (LROCP, SROCP or AWQ)
- 4. Complete a HLTAID003 Provide First Aid course and supply your certificate
The AMPA was designed to replace the oral examination process with a practical approach to licensing assessment. The purpose of the AMPA is to assess an individual’s competency against the performance requirements of a specific AMSA license outcome.
The AMPA is delivered by Paradigm Training Group (PTG) in accordance with AMSA regulations to allow students to successfully complete their AMSA final assessment and gain their low complexity interim certificate of competency (Interim license) prior to submitting the required licencing evidence to AMSA for processing.
09.1 How do you Complete the AMPA?If you are a new Paradigm learner enrolling into a Maritime qualification and have selected the option to complete an AMPA, you will have the opportunity to do so as part of your eight day maritime training and assessment workshop. (Please note, the eight days are a minimum requirement).
If you have previously completed a maritime qualification with another RTO and would like to complete an AMPA for Coxswain Grades 2 or 1 the following will apply:
- Attend a maritime training and assessment workshop for a minimum of two days, where you will be assessed against the required competencies. If during the initial assessment you are found to be ‘Not Yet Competent’, you will have the opportunity to;
• Book in to a later workshop and be re-assessed
To complete your ICoC you are required to book an appointment with PTG where your documents listed at section 13 will be checked and verified.
Please contact 1300 161 640 or email@example.com to book an appointment.
Please visit the AMSA website for further information on AMSA Licenses, AMPA’s and ICoCs.
Course Fee - $2,995.00$1,500.00 of the course fee is due upon enrolment and prior to accessing the student online platform. The remaining $1,495.00 is due prior to the practical workshop or once 50% of the course has been completed, whichever occurs first.
AMPA Fee - $500.00$500.00 is due upon enrolment for those wishing to undertake the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) and gain a low complexity interim certificate of competency (ICoC).
ICoC Fees - $100.00Where the AMPA application fee has been paid ($500.00 as above) the ICoC fee is included. Where the AMPA fee was not paid as part of an enrolment process, the ICoC fee payable is $100.00 upon booking your ICoC appointment with PTG.
Total Fee - $3,495.00Each enrolment will have the AMPA and ICoC included in fees payable. If you do not wish to undertake the AMPA or ICoC as part of the course, please add discount 'Removal AMPA/ICoC Fee' when completing your enrolment form and payment.
Fees charged upon enrolment$1,500.00 course fee deposit
$500.00 AMPA and ICoC fee (This can be paid at anytime prior to your AMPA)
For information on PTG payment plans or possible funding options, contact us on 1300 161 640 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)_FFS21|
MAKE IT HAPPEN, CAP'N
Why not come and Study With Us?
Have you heard the news? Paradigm Training Group is now conveniently located at Australia’s Greatest Boatyard, The Boat Works in Coomera, QLD.
At this location we have been blessed with have a large training room to which we host first aid, navigation workshops and general learning presentations. For mariners in training, you’ll have direct and clear access to the Broadwater and Seaway via our PTG vessels during practical workshops. In your lunch breaks, indulge in onsite delicious delights with super friendly service from Espresso Twenty5 and The Galley.
The Boat Works, that’s where we are at!
Student Learner Portal
Digital Work-based Learning
“aXcelerate has enabled PTG to deliver the latest innovations in education solutions by automating the enrolment, training and assessment processes.” – Rikky Burkett Director of PTG. This management system can be accessed via a portable electronic device (e.g. tablet, laptop, mobile phone) allowing our Trainers/ Assessors to easily assess students in real time. Our staff can record comments, video, photographs and practical observation results even when offline which is a huge advantage during our practical student workshops.